Malek Mosque

Malek Mosque also called Imam Mosque is the oldest and the biggest mosque located in Imam Khomeini Street in Kerman. It was registered in the list of Iran’s national monuments on 15th of Mehr 1346 with registration number 760. It is a reminder of Malek Touran, the Seljuq king, who had built the mosque as a place of worship for Sufis, a bathhouse and a hospital. It was the only mosque in the city before Mozaffari Grand Mosque. Malek Mosque is 101 m in length and 91 m in width and has been built between 477 and 490 AH. It has four porches that the biggest one is located at the western side of the mosque and the beautiful Seljuq tower in its east play roles in the beauty and importance of the mosque.

Malek Mosque

The mosque has a four iwan structure. The large iwan is on the opposite side of the west gate. One of the large doors opens to the north and the other to the southwest side. The mosque has many courtyards or “Shabestan” (part of a mosque designed for sleeping or nocturnal praying) in its each four sides and the most famous of them is Shabestan-e Imam Hassan or Imam Hassan courtyard. The wide Imam Mosque courtyard covers 6000sqm with tiled iwans(barrel-vaulted halls) on three sides but it is the main southwest iwan that is the attraction. It is a massive Seljuk structure in mostly 10th-century brick. One of the beautiful constructions in the mosque is located at the western courtyard, Its roof is decorated and columns are covered with plasterwork. There are also two vent pipes on both sides that ventilate the whole interior of the mosque.

Malek Mosque2

There have been four bathhouses around the mosque all of them have been destroyed except Sheikholeslam bathhouse. More than 40 years ago there was a beautiful fountain in the middle of the mosque which was 4 m deep and was known as “Ab Mastoureh (Hidden Water)”. It was located at the place where the ablution was performed for daily prayer. Nowadays, performing ablution is difficult in the mosque due to water shortage. Only the old pools situated beside the mosque are used. Unfortunately, tile works and inscriptions of the mosque have been completely destroyed and there is no document about its establishment date and architect .Different parts of mosque especially the main porch restored in Vakil Almolk period (1285H) and the easter porch has been restored with the effort of Deilamanqani in the recent century and the main iwan, were restored by Kerman Ruler Morteza Qoli Khan in 1864.


Add comment

Security code